- Easy Grade Treks in Himalayas
- Fall Treks
- Family Friendly
- Garhwal Treks
- Long Trek
- Moderate Grade Treks in Himalayas
- Monsoon Trek
- One Week Trek
- Spring Treks
- Summer Treks
Roopkund 2023 – India’s most popular summer trek is closed due to Bugyal camping ban:
As we update this page on March 2022, there has been no positive outcome on trekking to Roopkund. As a responsible tour operator we are always committed to Green, Eco Friendly treks which are sustainable and have minimal impact on the environment. However the honourable court had a different opinion which put a bar on camping at Bedni Bugyal and Patar Nachuni, two back to back campsites on Roopkund trail. In reality this means, one has to push 16 hours or probably more to reach Roopkund from a permitted campsite and return! Who would have thought last summer that this will be the end of it? Below pictures are shared by our trekkers during 2018 summer treks.
The Most Popular Trek of Them All
If you’re trekking in India, the Roopkund trek is a must-do! It’s got everything going for it. Deep virgin forests, gurgling brooks, breath-taking campsites, miles of undulating meadows, snow and ice and the taste of a great adventure as you climb from 8,000 ft to 16,000 ft in six days.
Roopkund, perhaps the most popular trek in India, is almost picture-perfect. The Roopkund trail climbs out of splendid dark forests suddenly bursting into Ali and Bedni Bugyal, arguably India’s most beautiful high altitude meadows. Out of the meadows, the trail quickly gets into terrific alpine stretches.
Climbing on snow to the Roopkund lake is a heart-pounding thrill. The beautiful Mt Trishul looms over the setting getting closer as you climb higher when at a ridge above Roopkund, only air separates the trekker from them and Trishul.
Watch this fantastic short film “Roopkund – Rocking The Himalayas” depicting the journey to Roopkund. This is filmed and edited by Mario Yáñez Aller. He trekked with HT during May/June 2015 season. This is shared for viewing purpose only.
Filming and editing: Mario Yáñez Aller
Music: Dirty Paws .-. Of Monsters and Men
Cameras: GoPro 4 Silver Edition, Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 350 D
Drive from Kathgodam to Lohajung
Drive Distance: 216 km | Duration: 9-10 hours | Pick up point for GREEN VALLEY HIMALAYAS TREKKERS: Kathgodam Railway Station
Transport will be arranged at 6 AM. This cost has to be borne by trekkers and paid directly to the driver. Cost of the cab – Rs 7,000 per vehicle, shared among 5-6 trekkers.
Drive from Lohajung to Wan. Trek to Gehroli Patal
Drive Duration: 1 hour | Trek Duration: 4-5 hours | | Altitude Gain: 7,600 ft to 10,000 ft
Moderate. Initial 30-45 minutes ascent to Ran Ka Dhar followed by a 20-minute descent to the river Neel Ganga. A stiff climb of 3 hours from Neel Ganga to Gehroli Patal.
Trek from Gehroli Patal to Bedni Bugyal
Trek Duration: 3 hours | Altitude Gain: 10,000 ft to 11,500 ft
Easy-Moderate. Stiff climb for about 2 hours to Ali Bugyal followed by a gentle trail to Bedni Bugyal.
Excursion to Bedni Top
Trek Duration: 4 hours | Altitude Gain: 11,500 ft to 12,200 ft
Easy. Acclimatisation day with a steep climb to the Bedni top.
Trek from Bedni Bugyal to Patar Nachauni
Trek Duration: 4 hours | Altitude Gain: 11,500 ft to 12,700 ft
Easy-Moderate. Easy climb at the beginning to a saddle followed by gradual descent to Patar Nachauni
Trek from Patar Nachauni to Bhagwabhasa via Kalu Vinayak
Trek Duration: 5-6 hours | Altitude Gain: 12,700 ft to 14,100 ft
Moderate. A 3 hour steep ascent to Kalu Vinayak followed by a gradually descending trail to Bhagwabhasa
Trek from Bhagwabasa to Roopkund and further up to Junargali. Return to Patar Nachauni via Bhagwabasa
Trek Duration: 9-10 hours | Altitude Gain and Loss: 14,100 ft to 12,700 ft via 16,000 ft
Difficult. Gradual ascent to Roopkund with the last 20 minutes consisting of steep switchbacks. 20-25 minutes steep climb to Junargali. Tricky descent on the switchbacks from Roopkund. Descending trail to Patar Nachuani.
Trek from Patar Nachauni to Lohajung via Bedni and Wan
Trek Duration: 7-8 hours | Drive Duration: 1 hour | Altitude Gain and Loss: 12,700 ft to 7,700 ft
Moderate-Difficult. Descending trail right through gets steep from Gaehroli Patal to Neel Ganga; the short ascending stretch from Neel Ganga to Ranka Dhar.
Drive from Lohajung to Kathgodam
Drive Distance: 216 km | Duration: 9-10 hours | Return point for Indiahikes trekkers: Kathgodam Railway Station
– It is mandatory for trekkers to carry a copy of their photo ID for entry at forest check posts on the trek.|- At the base camp, your stay will be arranged in lodges
– On the trek, you will be staying 3 in a tent
– We do have a cloakroom facility at the base camp. Do not carry excess luggage other than what is required for the trek.
Please note: Twin sharing tents may not be available in May, June, July and August. This is because raw materials for making tents are sourced from different countries. But their export has been affected due to international unrest. This has led to a global shortage of tents. Having said that, you’ll still have comfortable space as these tents have been designed to accommodate three trekkers.
Duration: 6 days of trekking; Walking from Lohajung to Roopkund and back to Wan. 8 days from Kathgodam to Kathgodam.
Prerequisite: Prior GREEN VALLEY HIMALAYAS experience is a plus. Specially in the summer/pre monsoon due to snow and icy conditions.
Trail Length: 55 Km
Highest Point: Roopkund ~ 4800m/15750ft
Seasons: May/June (Summer/Pre monsoon) & September/October (Post Monsoon/Fall)
Further Option: From Roopkund climb Junargali and continue to Homkund and finally to Ronty Saddle. Difficult long duration trek.
Access: Trek starting point (trek base) is Lohajung, 220 Km from Kathgodam.
Rail station: Kathgodam (Station Code: KGM)
Upcoming scheduled dates for Roopkund trek:
- You can check the scheduled Fixed Departure dates in the calendar available inside Booking Form or inside REGISTER NOW form. Tour starting Dates are highlighted as per our itinerary (Day 1 of 8 days itinerary).
- At present BOOK NOW functionality is disabled. You can get all the information in your email by submitting the REGISTER NOW form.
- If you are a group of people and available dates are not matching then you may select Custom date mode (by clicking the Select your custom date) and fill in the displayed form.
- You can also check all the available dates at a glance in our TREK CALENDAR.
- Trekkers need to reach Kathgodam on Day 1 morning (latest by 7 am). Return to Kathgodam on Day 8 evening (7 pm). Arrange your tickets for inward journey and return accordingly.
|REPORTING LOCATION||Kathgodam railways station|
|REPORTING TIME||7:00 AM for a prompt departure to Lohajung (Day 1)|
|RETURN TIME||Approximately 7:00 PM (Day 8)|
How to reach Lohajung (The trek base):
Nearest Rail station: Kathgodam (Station Code: KGM)
Nearest Airport: Delhi
We will arrange a pick up and drop from Kathgodam to Lohajung and back. This will be shared equally by the team members on actual basis. You pay directly to the driver/transporter. The fare is Rs 5500 for a Tata Sumo/Mahindra Maxx one way. These can accommodate 6 to 8 people. Similarly a Tempo Traveller charges Rs 9000 which can accommodate 12 people. This is included in the TREK FEE and to be payable directly to the driver/owner.
If you wish to reach our Trek Base Lohajung on your own by public transportation:
- From Kathgodam there is no direct bus or shared car service to Lohajung. Reach latest by 6 am to Haldwani (The city, 4 Km before Kathgodam) and take a shared Jeep service to Deval. This is is 25 Km before Lohajung. From Deval you may get another shared service to Lohajung or you may have to hire one.
- If you travel from Haridwar side, then reach Rishikesh on the previous night (Day 0, 25 Km from Haridwar) and board the bus for Mandoli/Lohajung at 5 am next morning. This private bus takes 12 to 14 hours to reach Lohajung. As this is a privately operated bus so may not operate during the high demand of Chardham yatra season. The route is via Devprayag, Rudraprayag, Karanprayag, Tharali and Deval. 260 Km.
- From Lohajung the bus to Rishikesh starts early in the morning by 6 am and reach by 6 pm .
How to reach Kathgodam:
For the treks in Kumaon or in the bordering area of Garhwal, one has to reach Kathgodam/Haldwani normally. Lal Kuan is just 20 Km and Haldwani is 5 Km before Kathgodam. Bus, shared taxi and private cars are available.
You can fly or by train reach New Delhi as per your convenience from any part within India. Reach Delhi accordingly that you have enough time for transit withing Delhi.
There are direct trains from Kolkata to Kathgodam(KGM)/Lal Kuan(LKU)
BAGH EXPRESS – Train No. 13019 (ONLY book when you stay the night at Kathgodam, DON’t book this train when you plan a long onward journey immediately in the morning)]
HWH LKU EXP – Train No. 12353 – Lalkuan Express (runs only on Friday, you need to stay at Kathgodam for the night, only 20 Km away)
Avoid booking wait listed (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
You can reach KATHGODAM/HALDWANI EASILY FROM NEW DELHI BY TRAIN OR BUS (~ 6/8 HOURS) AND IS AROUND 270 KM.
Following trains are good to reach Kathgodam and run daily.
RANIKHET EXP – Train No. 15013 (best option, runs overnight, arrives KGM early morning @ 5 am. Board from Delhi(DLI)/Old Delhi Junction station)
UTR SAMPRK K EX – Uttaranchal Sampark Kranti Express – Train No. 15035 (good option when you stay the night @ Kathgodam and travel next morning)
ANVT KGM SHT – Anand Vihar Kathgodam Shatabdi Express – Train No. 12040 (Arrives KGM in the morning @ 11:40 am, alternate choice when you stay the night in Kathgodam and travel by car next morning)
Always avoid booking wait listed (WL) tickets in AC classes (1A/2A/3A) or Chair Car (CC). Book Sleeper class (SL)/Second Sitting class (2S) tickets which have normally more seats/berth and hence much better chance to get confirmed.
Haldwani buses are more frequent than that of Kathgodam. Its easy to reach Kathgodam from Haldwani which is only 5 Km away.
Govt. Road Transport (Roadways of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Delhi, Haryana etc) buses are frequently available in day time and night from Anand Vihar ISBT Tickets are available on board for these regular type buses. Some of the state transport companies offer online reservation for Volvo/A.C Luxury buses. Check these Govt. operated state bus services for online booking:
From Delhi Airport or Station you can reach ISBT Anand Vihar via Delhi Metro service (http://www.delhimetrorail.com/metro-fares.aspx).
For privately operated bus, you can book online from different portals (http://www.redbus.in). Select a boarding point suitably. Overnight Volvo/A.C/Push back bus service.
For night stay in Kathgodam:
Trekkers reaching on the previous day before the journey to the actual trek base need to stay the night in Kathgodam. There are few options in Kathgodam for spending a night while staying in Standard accommodation.
State run KMVN (Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam) operates Tourist Rest House at Kathgodam just opposite to the railway station (beside Bus stand). This is a reliable and a decent choice for Standard accommodation. Check the following for reservation of the above
There are privately run hotels/lodges near Kathgodam railway station & Haldwani Bus terminus.
Return from Kathgodam:
Normally you reach from trek base to Kathgodam by 5/6 pm in the evening. You can take any train after 7 pm or regular bus service as mentioned above to reach Delhi or directly to your homeward journey.
Drive from Kathgodam to Lohajung – 220 Km – 10 hours
Trek to Didna – 10 Km – 5 hours
Trek to Bedni Bugyal – 12 Km – 6/7 hours
Trek to Patar Nachuni 5 Km – 3 hours
Trek to Baguabasa – 4 Km – 4 hours
Baguabasa to Roopkund and back to Patar Nachuni – 12 Km – 8/10 hours
Patar Nachuni to Wan – 15Km – 7/8 hours – 1 hour drive back to Lohajung
Drive from Lohajung to Kathgodam – 220 Km by car 9/10 hours
P.S.: Distances and altitudes are approximate and may not be exact.
TREK FEE: ₹ 15,500 (Lohajung to Lohajung) + 5% GST
Book for 5 persons or more persons and avail flat 10% Group Discount.
2 night’s accommodation at Lohajung (Day 1 & Day 7) in lodge on sharing basis and dinner.
All meals during the trek. Regular Indian style nutritious vegetarian food during the trek (including occasional eggs), breakfast packed/hot lunch (depending upon the time you reach a campsite), snacks, dinner along with coffee/tea/soup.
Excellent Trekking Guide, who will be a local to this particular area and has profound knowledge of the trekking trails around.
Specialised Cook, Support staff, Porters/Packed Animals for carrying the central logistics of the trek.
Stay in tents (3 persons dome or ridge shaped tents) on sharing basis during the trek.
Camping equipment like Sleeping bag, Carry mattress, Gaiters, Micro spikes/Crampon. (Bring your own sleeping if you have a high altitude specific personal Sleeping Bag. This is always better for hygienic reasons.)
Kitchen tent, dinning tent and toilet tent as required during the trek.
All permit fee, camping charges, forest levy required for the trek.
Basic Medical & First Aid kit.
Accidental Insurance Policy covering high altitude trekking tours (For Indian nationals it is included in the TREK FEE, up to 60 years of age).
Transportation from Kathgodam to Lohajung and back to Haridwar/Kathgodam (Rs 1500-1800 per persons both ways for the pick up and drop)
We assume that you will carry your personal Rucksack/Backpack with all your personal belongings. If you want to offload your Rucksack and be carried by our Pack Animal/Porter then you need to pay additional ₹ 1500 for the entire duration of the trek. The Rucksack should not weigh more than 10 Kg.
Any tip/gratuity to the GVH supports staff.
Anything is is NOT mentioned in the “Inclusions” or personal in nature.
- We assume that you have read and understood our “Terms & Conditions” (https://greenvalleyhimalayas.com/terms-and-conditions) before Booking a trek/tour.
- To reserve your place in a scheduled Fixed Departure trek or a Customised/Private trek pay 25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE as the initial “Booking Deposit”. You can pay by Net banking/Draft/Cheque/Credit/Debit/AMEX cards. This will ensure your participation in the desired trek and we will reserve your place in the scheduled date. You need to pay the remaining amount at least 15 days before Trek Starting Date.
- If you book a Trek/Tour before 14 days or less from Trek/Tour Starting Date, you need to pay the full TREK/TOUR FEE.
- “Booking Amount” i.e.25% of the TREK/TOUR FEE is Non-Refundable at any stage.
- If in case you are not able to make it due to unavoidable reason(s), we provide you avery flexible choice of Shifting to another trek within next one year. One year is counted from the starting date of the trek/tour you booked initially with us.
- In case you postpone your trip you need to informminimum of 15 days before the trek/tour starting date. (Though we suggest to inform us earlier if known)
- In case you postpone a trek/tour before 15 days of the scheduled Trek/Tour Starting date or prior, you may shift to another group of the same trek/tour scheduled in the same season or within next one year. You may shift to another suitable route also. For changing any, you need our approval first. Your request must be in written communication through your registered email with us.
- If you cancel/postpone a trek/tour from14 days to 8 days before tour starting date, your Booking Amount is Non-Refundable. We will not take any request of shifting dates. We will charge 50% of the amount as Cancellation Charges and process refund of remaining 50%. You may also shift to another group within next year but 25% Booking Amount will be deemed as Cancellation Charge and the rest amount will be transferred to the shifted group.
- If you cancel a trek/tour 7 days (i.e. a week) before Trek/Tour Starting Date or later, there will be NO REFUND.
- In case of any unforeseen incident including but not limited to natural calamities like flood, earthquake, landslide, forest fire or any political unrest, if we are compelled to cancel the trek/trip, you will be entitled to redeem the full amount for the same/similar kind of trek/trip within next one year.
If you need more clarifications write in to email@example.com
Entire team of GVH is very cordial, co-operative and helpful . We have enjoyed their hospitality greatly. The way they helped us to achieve our target needs special mention. I will go again with them to trek in future.
Glad to be a part of this trek, had a great time with my friends as well as the people assigned to us.
Leave a Review